OK here is the deal! I love chicken nuggests like a 5 year does but they KINDA gross me out not knowing whats really inside of them. When eating out we have a few go to places and Chick-Fil-A is one of those places.
I came across a recipe on 100 days of real food and thought I would try it but OF COURSE I could not leave well enough alone and I adjusted the recipe to make them a bit crispier and I also found it VERY difficult to find a clean whole wheat breadcrumbs.
So naturally I got to work and these beauties were born... the kids were elated that I said we are having chicken nuggets for dinner and yes they are clean and meal plan approved.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Plain Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- olive oil
- Dice chicken in to 1 inch peices
- Beat egg and leave in bowl
- Add panko, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and paprika to small bowl and mix well.
- Bread chicken pieces by dipping in the egg first, then into the breading to coat and set aside. I suggest breading all the chicken and then working in batches to cook them. ( another tip use 1 had for the egg and the other for the breading mixture so your fingers don't get so gunky!
- Heat pan with a good pour of Olive Oil on Med low about 4.5 let heat well add chicken to pan allowing to brown on all sides cooking. (Pro tip, the first batch takes the longest to brown up but the second batch heats much faster, consider turning the heat down a bit if needed and do not walk away)
- Transfer nuggets to a paper towel while the other batches are cooking.
- Cut a nugget to ensure it is cooked through and continue with further batches till check is all cooked ( pro tip, I wipe the pan out between batches and add a bit more oil.
- serve with ketchup or condiment you enjoy!